The jubilee celebration of the 70th anniversary of the research activity of the Motor Transport Institute (MTI) was organized at the Copernicus Science Centre. In addition to the current employees of the Institute, the event was also attended by representatives of the MTI Scientific Council and guests from the Ministry of Infrastructure, which supervises the Institute, including:
- Mrs. Małgorzata Kuźma, Director General, Ministry of Infrastructure
- Mr. Maciej Michałowski, Director of the Minister's Office, Ministry of Infrastructure
- Mr. Konrad Romik, Director of the Secretariat of the National Road Safety Council, Ministry of Infrastructure
- Mr. Andrzej Nejmanowicz, Deputy Director of the Road Transport Department, Ministry of Infrastructure
and members of the MTI Scientific Council appointed by the Minister of Infrastructure and the Minister of Science:
- Mr. prof. dr hab. Eng. Tomasz Jałowiec, Vice-President of the MTI Scientific Council, Warfare Academy,
- Mr. dr Eng. Alvin Gajadhur, Road Transport Chief Inspector together with Mrs. Klaudia Podkalicka, Road Transport Deputy Chief Inspector,
- Mr. dr Eng. Jerzy Kleniewski, General Counselor at the Ministry of Infrastructure,
- Mr. Mirosław Czech, Director of the General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways in Lublin
- Mrs. prof. dr hab. Eng. Ilona Jacyna Golda, Warsaw University of Technology
- Mr. prof. dr hab. Eng. Dariusz Mazurkiewicz, Lublin University of Technology
- Mr. prof. dr hab. Eng. Piotr Orliński, Warsaw University of Technology
The jubilee ceremony was hosted by prof. dr hab. Eng. Marcin Ślęzak, director of the Motor Transport Institute.
– Although 70 years have passed since MTI begun its operations, the main statutory tasks, i.e. conducting scientific and research activities for the benefit of road transport, have remained unchanged over the years. Currently, the Institute is active in several areas that can undoubtedly be called flagship ones. They include tasks that are particularly important for planning and implementing state policy, the implementation of which is necessary to ensure, among the others, public safety and improving the quality of the citizens’ life.
In many of these areas, the Motor Transport Institute is a national leader and has unique competences in Poland. The experience and results of work gained over several decades, unique personnel on a national scale and laboratory facilities make the Institute a valued and recognizable scientific and research unit not only in Poland, but also in Europe, constituting substantive support for public administration, including, above all, the ministry responsible for the shape and condition of Polish transport - the ministry responsible for transport.
On this occasion, I would like to pay special attention to the contribution of former and current MTI employees (including my predecessors) to the aforementioned achievements, without whose daily commitment and effort, I would not be able to boast of numerous achievements today, and the Institute would only remain a building. On this occasion, I would like to thank all of you, my colleagues, for the contribution you make every day to the benefit of our community, the Institute and the whole of Poland - said prof. Marcin Slęzak.
On behalf of Mr. Andrzej Adamczyk, Minister of Infrastructure, greetings on the occasion of the MTI’s Jubilee were sent by Mr. Jerzy Kleniewski, long-term Chairman of the Land Transport Committee of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe in Geneva (UNECE KTL) and General Counselor at the Ministry of Infrastructure, who emphasized the long-term scientific and research merits of the Institute both in Poland and internationally, e.g. in the field of road transport and modern technologies and techniques. Mr. Kleniewski also thanked for the increased activity of MTI within the UN/ECE land committee, and finally congratulated the employees on such ambitious achievements and results as well as wished them another 70 years of active operation.
Minister Alvin Gajadhur, Road Transport Chief Inspector , also joined the wishes on the occasion of the Jubilee of the 70th anniversary of MTI, and thanked the employees of the Institute for 70 years of work and congratulated the scientific achievements, which are also used by the Ministry of Infrastructure and GITD, including in the field of location of devices for measuring vehicles’ speed POPRAW SKŁADNIĘ. In the opinion of Minister Gajadhur, MTI is a highly valued Institute that implements very important pro-social and educational projects, including those related to road safety, which are consistent with the profile of the GITD activity.
Mirosław Czech, Director of the General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways (Lublin branch), read a letter on behalf of Professor Przemysław Czarnek, Minister of Science and Education, in which the Minister emphasized the leading and significant position of MTI in the field of research, many years of scientific merit on topics related to with road transport and expressed appreciation for all the projects undertaken by ITS. The Minister also appreciated the Institute's 70-year contribution to improving the functioning, organization and efficiency of transport and socio-economic progress through innovative institute’s research.
On behalf of Mr. prof. dr hab. Eng. Tadeusz Waściński, Chairman of the Scientific Council of MTI, the letter on the occasion of the Jubilee was read by prof. dr hab. Eng. Andrzej Świderski, Deputy Director of MTI for Scientific Affairs. Professor Waściński emphasized the pride he feels as a result of cooperation with the Motor Transport Institute, which has a rich, 70-year experience in the implementation of all interdisciplinary engineering, research, expert and study works, supporting the activities of state administration in the field of road transport and influencing the development of the scientific discipline – the civil engineering, geodesy and transport (in the field of engineering and technical sciences).
– The achievements and commitment of the MTI staff as well as the results of the work are very positively perceived by scientists of the most important institutions in this country and abroad. The inter-disciplinarity of the Institute is its greatest advantage, because it brings measurable benefits, which has been confirmed by the past decades, therefore, on behalf of the members of the MTI Scientific Council, I wish the Institute more years of positive development - said prof. dr hab. Eng. Tadeusz Wascinski.
A multimedia presentation prepared by prof. dr hab. Eng. Marcin Ślęzak, which included e.g. history and milestones during 70 years of MTI operation.
– Over the course of 70 years, it is difficult to identify a fragment of the road transport sector in the development of which the Institute would not make a smaller or larger contribution. The Institute played a particularly active role, which is difficult to overestimate, during the period of political transformation, significantly contributing to the market transformation of the sector and its preparation for functioning on the common market of the European Union - emphasized the Institute's director and added that today the Motor Transport Institute represents 70 years of tradition and experience, is a recognized and valued brand in the country and abroad, has qualified scientific and expert staff who work in international commissions and expert bodies of the European Union and the United Nations. The Institute is a national leader in many areas, such as: road safety, environmental protection (including electromobility), type-approval and technical testing of vehicles, mobility of physically disabled people and modern technologies, including autonomous vehicles.
A wide spectrum of unique and long-term research and achievements in the research area of the Institute has been appreciated and awarded - during the Jubilee celebrations, the meritorious MTI staff were awarded:
Decoration awarded by the President of the Republic of Poland:
- Gold Medal for Long Service, Silver Medal for Long Service, Bronze Medal for Long Service
Decoration awarded by the minister responsible for transport:
- Honorary badge "Meritorious for the transport of the Republic of Poland"
Distinction awarded by the Director of MTI on the basis of a resolution of the Chapter:
- Honorary badge "For Merits for the Motor Transport Institute".
In total, 39 employees of the Motor Transport Institute were awarded and honoured with medals.
MTI began its activity in 1952 under the Regulation of the Minister of Road and Air Transport of September 25, 1951 on establishing the Motor Transport Institute.
The area of operation of the Institute is the whole country. The research problems dealt with by the Institute over the past nearly 70 years have undergone constant changes. These changes resulted from the needs of the national economy and road transport as well as technical and organizational progress both in the economy and transport.
Main thematic areas of MTI 2021-2030 activity:
- Safety in transport and road traffic
- Climate impact
- Informatization of transport
- Economics of road transport
Within the four distinguished areas, the following are complementary to them:
- innovative construction and material solutions as well as new technologies in road transport,
- transport accessibility and mobility of people with special needs, including disabilities,
- standardization, certification, type-approval and conformity assessment,
- education and preventive actions.